Title: Compilation of Red Lists of Threatened Species of Plants, Animals and Fungi of Greece.
Funding Body: Operational Programme ‘’Transport Infrastructure, Environment and Sustainable Development’’ NSRF 2014-2020
Start – End: 2022 – 2024
Budget: 1.744.724,65 €
Project status: IN PROGRESS
Programming Period: 2014-2020
Operational Programme: Transport Infrastructure, Environment and Sustainable Development
Fund: European Cohesion Fund
The Project entails the financing of actions aimed at updating the Red Lists of endangered species of plants, animals and fungi in Greece. It also includes the evaluation of new species, up to 17,000 species, according to the IUCN criteria and specifications and their classification into risk categories, with the active participation of the IUCN, the creation of a national Red List of Fungi, the addition of Greek endemic species to the IUCN database and the training and creation of a network of Greek experts in the application of IUCN criteria.
The Project consists of five (5) sub-projects.
Sub-Project 1: Compilation of Red Lists & Operational Support of the Project, which is divided further into six (6) Work Packages (W.P.):
– WP 1: Compilation of the Red List of Endangered Species of Plants and Fungi of Greece (species assessments).
– WP 2: Compilation of the Red List of Endangered Species of Terrestrial Animals of Greece (species assessments).
– WP 3: Compilation of the Red List of Endangered Species of Aquatic Animals of Greece (species assessments).
– WP 4: Administrative Support for the project.
– WP 5: Development of database and website
– WP 6: Communication of the project actions. This includes production of press releases, articles and design of audiovisual material, videos or animations for posting on NECCA’s website and social media.
Sub-Project 2: Scientific Coordination of Terrestrial & Aquatic Animals. This includes collection and management of scientific information to be submitted to IUCN, supervision/checking and correction of data and provision of advice. Compilation of the final Red List of Terrestrial and Aquatic Animals of Greece.
Sub-Project 3: Streamlining endangered species assessments and creation of a network of experts in accordance with IUCN criteria. This involves data quality control, registration of Greek species assessments in the IUCN international database, training of experts in the application of IUCN standards and the development of future regional level assessments.
Sub-Project 4: Organisation & Implementation of events (eg, conference, seminars and workshops to support the educational needs and dissemination of the project).
Sub-Project 5: Scientific Coordination of Plants & Fungi. This Includes collection and management of scientific information to be submitted to IUCN, supervision/verification and correction of data and provision of advice. Compilation of the final Red List of Plants and Fungi of Greece.
The deliverables of the Project are the following:
- Assessment and classification of plant, animal and fungal species according to the IUCN criteria for regional level assessments into risk categories.
- Descriptive and geospatial data related to the assessment to estimate population sizes and pressures/threats of species.
- National Red Lists of threatened species: plants, fungi, terrestrial animals and aquatic animal species.
- Workshops/Training of a network of experts on the implementation of the IUCN standards.
- Workshops, conferences, press releases.